Getting A Checkup…
Getting a checkup is something you must schedule on your calendar every year! A checkup helps to create a baseline or a range of normal that is specific to you and your overall health. Our healthcare system is designed to offer preventive care. Preventive care is a proactive approach to healthcare where you and your doctor work together to identify potential issues before they become major problems.
Below is a list of preventative care that is covered for adults. When you visit your doctor, it is a good idea to ask them to address these screenings during your visit.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm one-time screening for men of specified ages who have ever smoked
- Alcohol misuse screening and counseling
- Aspirin use to prevent cardiovascular disease for men and women of certain ages
- Blood pressure screening
- Cholesterol screening for adults of certain ages or at higher risk
- Colorectal cancer screening for adults over 50
- Depression screening
- Diabetes (Type 2) screening for adults with high blood pressure
- Diet counseling for adults at higher risk for chronic disease
- Hepatitis B screening for people at high risk, including people from countries with 2% or more Hepatitis B prevalence, and U.S.-born people not vaccinated as infants and with at least one parent born in a region with 8% or more Hepatitis B prevalence.
- Hepatitis C screening for adults at increased risk, and one time for everyone born 1945 – 1965
- HIV screening for everyone ages 15 to 65, and other ages at increased risk
- Immunization vaccines for adults — doses, recommended ages, and recommended populations vary:
- Lung cancer screening for adults 55 – 80 at high risk for lung cancer because they’re heavy smokers or have quit in the past 15 years
- Obesity screening and counseling
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) prevention counseling for adults at higher risk
- Syphilis screening for adults at higher risk
- Tobacco Use screening for all adults and cessation interventions for tobacco users
Please note that these services are free only when delivered by a doctor or other provider in your plan’s network.
Planning regular checkups and working together with your doctor is the best way to take proactive action when it comes to your health.
Do you have questions about your health plan and what it covers? Schedule a FREE consultation with me by calling: (813) 391-3448