It’s almost THAT time of year! That’s right, open enrollment is right around the corner. Depending on how you plan for the event, will determine how smooth or not so smooth the process will be for you and your family.
Upcoming Open Enrollment Dates:
Make sure these dates are on your calendars…
Thursday, November 1, 2018, to Saturday, December 15, 2018. Please keep in mind that if you already have coverage you will be automatically renewed. We would just need to update any family, address, or income changes.
Note: If you don’t act by December 15, you can’t get 2019 coverage unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.
Plans sold during Open Enrollment start January 1, 2019.
If you need new coverage…..Checklist
- Household size: Make a list of the people in your household that will be needing health Information (see below for a snapshot of who should be getting or qualifies for health insurance)
- Home and/or mailing addresses for everyone applying for coverage.
- Information about everyone applying for coverage, like addresses and birth dates.
Social Security Numbers.
- Document information for legal immigrants.
- Information on how you file your taxes.
- Your best estimate of what your household income will be in 2018.
for help estimating your income.
Here’s a quick snapshot of who qualifies for health insurance coverage in your home:
- Dependent children, including adopted and foster children
- Children – shared custody (only those who you claim as dependents during the tax year)
- Non-dependent child under 26 – only if you want to include them on your policy
- Children under 21 you take care of and who lives with you, even if not your tax dependent.
- Dependent parents only if you claim them as tax dependents
- Dependent siblings and other relatives only if you claim them as tax dependents
- Legally married spouse
After you have gathered all of the information listed above, call a health insurance agent who is well versed in the Affordable Care Act and understands the laws that surround it. You will want to have discussions about things like:
- The 4 “metal” categories and what they mean for you and your family
- Understanding how much your monthly health insurance will be
- A clear explanation of the plans and the networks available to you (HMO, PPO, POS, EPO)
If you do not have an agent and need help in making the best healthcare coverage decisions for you and your family, I am here to help! Schedule your FREE consultation by calling: (813) 391-3448